This page is under construction.
|Each unit of work in our curriculum has an important part to play in supporting our pupils to acquire the important knowledge they need to prepare them for their next phase of education.
Our Curriculum Overview
Click here to see our curriculum overview
Click here to see the National Curriculum Programmes of Study for History
By the end of Y6 we want our pupils to:-
- Have acquired a secure knowledge and understanding the history of the British Isles; how the country was changed and developed by the coming of different peoples right up to the present day. We want them to know how Britain has influenced and been influenced by the wider world.
- Know and understand the changes that their home town and city have undergone, particularly since 1800 and the birth of industrialisation.
- Know and understand significant aspects of the history of the wider world: how the ancient civilisations of Egypt, Greece, Rome and the Islamic Empire came to prominence and faded away. We want them to know how the cultures and beliefs of these empires still influence our lives today.
- Know and understand some important abstract concepts such as empire, civilisation, parliament and peasantry.
- Know that there are different periods of history and have an understanding of basic chronology.
- Know how our knowledge of the past helps us to understand the present and how things came to be as they are.
- Know how to find out about the past; to have begun to understand that not all historical sources are equally reliable and that there are different viewpoints to take into account.
How can you help at home?
Bradford has a wealth of museums, many of them are free. Our focus on our city and how it has changed can be supported by visiting any of these venues. Find out more by following the link below.
Take a walk around the city centre and look up at the beautiful buildings in our city; there are clues to our city's great past.
Take a trip to the library to pick up a history book in the children's section. Use our curriculum overview to help you to choose.
There are lots of useful catch-up programmes with history themes that you can watch with your child.