School Improvement Priorities
Please click here to access a summary of the current School Development Plan(SDP)
1. IMPROVING TEACHING AND LEARNING
Our last inspection challenged us to improve teaching and learning so that children make rapid progress throughout their time at Shipley CE. Some of the things we will be doing:-
- Providing training opportunities for teachers to make sure that they are well equipped to teach all subject areas and all abilities.
- Monitoring and mentoring teachers to make sure that all lessons are good.
- Revising some of our whole school systems to make sure that there is consistency across all classes.
- Raising our expectations of what the children can achieve.
The most important subject in primary school is reading; access to all other subjects is achieved through reading. Some of the things we will be doing this year:-
- Focusing on supporting children's language development; their ability to talk with others (oracy), to discuss and develop ideas; their knowledge and understanding of words (vocabulary)
- Continuing to gain expertise in teaching phonics through the Read Write Inc phonic programme.
- Providing as many opportunities in the school day for children to practise their phonics skills through reading.
- Using picture books, novels and non-fiction books as the basis for teaching English.
- Purchasing class sets of books to enable all pupils to access the book they are studying.
The new OFSTED framework challenges schools to look again at the design of their curriculum. Some of the things we will be doing this year:-
- Reviewing all our curriculum plans to ensure that we meet all aspects of the National Curriculum in full.
- Identifying the powerful knowledge that children need in order to build towards their next stage of education; ensuring that this knowledge is threaded through the curriculum to provide children with many opportunities to engage with it an commit it to memory.